Learn To Skate
Whether you want to skate recreationally or try figure skating or ice hockey, our group lessons are a low-cost way to start having fun on the ice. Our skating school is an approved program of Learn to Skate USA, which is endorsed by US Figure Skating, USA Hockey, and US Speedskating. The FFSC Learn to Skate program is supervised by our professional coaches and taught by our friendly instructors. We welcome all ages and abilities!
For more information on Learn to Skate USA, check the Learn to Skate USA website.
Learn to Skate students can compete in Complete USA competitions, including our own Ice in the Pines, held the third weekend of August. LTS students can also participate in some FFSC events, such as exhibitions.
Of course, LTS students are welcome to join Flagstaff Figure Skating Club. FFSC members have full club privileges, including skating on club freestyle sessions, as well as fully participating in club exhibitions and events, working with club coaches, testing at USFSA test sessions, and competing in USFSA-sanctioned competitions. LTS members who join FFSC are eligible for an introductory, discount ice fee for the first three months. After that, normal ice fees apply. See the Club Ice page for the current rates.
- When: Wednesdays, except during special events and certain holidays. Students can start on any Wednesday. (July-August and November-December are combined months- since August and December are short months due to events and the holidays, the monthly fee includes all sessions in both months)
- Time: 5:30 to 6:00 pm. Be at the rink by 5:15 pm pm to register and rent skates
- Times are subject to change- check our home page, the club calendar, and your email for changes
- Cost: $15 per year for USFSA Basic Skills membership, valid July 1 through June 30, and $40 per calendar month for lessons
- Fees cannot be prorated
- Location: Jay Lively Ice Arena
- USFSA Basic Skills and Flagstaff Figure Skating Club memberships are completely separate. For information on FFSC membership, see the Membership page
Before you know it, our instructors will have you stroking and gliding confidently across the ice. From there, you can go as far as you like- backward skating, two-foot turns, edges, crossovers, Mohawk turns, two-foot and one-foot spins, three turns, and even jumps.
- Download, print, and fill out a Learn to Skate Registration Form
- Pay registration fees with Paypal or a check (Paypal processing fees are added to Paypal payments)
- Bring the registration form and the check (if you didn't pay with Paypal) to the first day of class
Questions about our program? Contact the Basic Skills Director on the Board page or come to the rink during Learn to Skate classes.
For additional information, see US Figure Skating Basic Skills Program.